Sunday, September 27, 2015

I set goals. And goals are being met.

Before the start of 2015 I set some goals for the new year. Some of those goals were not in regards to my athletic side - but the athletic goals are the ones I want to talk about today.

One of my goals was to break 22 on a 5k. While that hasn't happened yet, I did PR in the distance - and also I still have a few months to make it happen.***update. Sweet Rhonda reminded me I did sub 22 last year. So I HAVE done it. But I want to do it again :)***
Another goal was to break 1:45 at a half. I've done that. Twice.
And the third? To do 10 consecutive pull ups. I'm at 8. I'll do it.

So far in 2015 I have:

PR'd in the 5k (and won age) ,5 mile, 15k (placed second in age) and half marathon.
Placed first in age at the bonefrog challenge and the blizzard blast.
Won first woman at an OCR.
Placed at several races in age group.

I had to stop to think about what has changed because I feel like I am in the best running shape of my life.
Did my diet change? Nope. I love donuts and pizza still.
Did I cut back on the beer? Absolutely not.
Did I log an insane amount of mileage? Negative.

Here is what I did. I challenged myself. I mixed up my workouts. I stepped outside my comfort zone.
I ran with people faster than me. I incorporated regular track workouts (these were of great purpose- thank you Meredith for letting me chase you).
I strength trained - a lot.
If I was tired, I rested.
And for race days? I ditched the watch. Anyone who knows me knows on training runs I need ALL the data. To the exact second and distance. But at a race... I don't want the watch. And that has been huge for me. I play too many mind games with the watch. I ran a half yesterday and saw everyone obsessing over their watches and heard all the beeps every mile. I still didn't miss mine. I've come to know my body and pace so well that I feel like at any given time I could tell you my pace and be pretty accurate.

I ran a PR in May for the half in Rhode Island. I really didn't expect it to happen. I went by how I felt and it showed me I was more prepared than I thought. Later that month I ran a few minutes over the PR but still my third fastest half (I have done about 40). That was a humid and hilly course. I wasn't expecting a PR - had to adjust my pace. Hadn't run one since end of May until yesterday. Honestly, I had no clue what to expect. I knew it was hilly but the weather was on my side.

The first half was all down hill. I'm notorious for taking off too fast naturally. Now, add the down hill start. I let people go by me and reminded myself I'd be grateful at about mile 8 when the hills were ugly. I would guess I was holding about 7:45 for the first ten miles. At mile ten I started to fade. These hills sucked. I would say my last 3.1 was about 8:30 pace. I knew I slowed down. I lost the 1:40 pace leader but never saw the 1:45 pass me. I figured either I missed it or was doing better than I thought.

Without the watch , I still have a good clue on time. I listen to music and make sure I never exceed two songs per mile (I figure in average that's 8 min) for the first 10 miles I was just shy of 2 songs hence my 7:45 guesstimate. The last 3.1 I was more like a hair over 2 songs. Everyone has their weird running things and that's mine.

Right at about mile 12.6- we approached the most rotten hill that just had middle fingers growing out of it. I wanted to walk so bad and I think had I been going any slower I would've been. But with half a mile left - I'd do no such thing. I sucked it up- made it to the top then to a nice flat for the finish. I managed to get in under 1:45 making it a 1:44:54. My second fastest half.

I'm pleased. I never expected that time on that course. What I'm learning slowly is to believe in myself as well as follow the other rules I listed above , but if you don't believe in yourself - the goals won't happen.

What's next? I'm looking to break 1:40 on the half. Baystate half is in three weeks. Starting the mental prep now. I know I can do it.


No comments:

Post a Comment