Friday, February 27, 2015

February Run Streak comes to a close...

I am an avid Instagrammer. I love the support it has for a community of people that share similar interests and are seeking challenges and ideas. The run streak was not a new concept to me, in fact I have done it before. This month seemed different. And I am glad it's over tomorrow.

I have a few theories about running every day, and anyone who knows me knows I typically do NOT advocate running daily. Now, I am not going to get scientific and tell you what you should or should NOT do- but for me personally, running every day sucks. 

I started the month with excitement , like YEAH! lets do this. I was loving it. There were blizzards every weekend- it sort of created an adventure for me. I thought it was great to put on my "screw shoes" and run through 6 inches of unplowed streets. 

As the month kept going I felt less inspired and the times I had to be on the dreadmill , I would see people lifting weights and I was jealous. 

Don't get me wrong , I LOVE to run, but what makes my running strong is BALANCE. Days off from running are KEY for my body to recover properly- and absence makes the heart grow fonder, right? You take a day or 2 off, and you CRAVE the next run. 

I also believe in runs with purpose, versus "junk miles" When you run every day, its inevitable to not have junk miles. I think these are the most important runs: Hill repeats, Speed work (tempo, fartleks), Long run, and recovery run.  For me, lifting has eliminated junk mile days, and built up my strength. Prior to lifting being a strong component in my regiment, I was constantly injured- mostly IT band issue. Since I've been cross training, no injury. (knock on wood)

Anyways, it was fun, I will have 130 miles for the shortest month and snowiest month , but I look forward to more of a balanced schedule next month. Bring on March!

Here are some photos from all the fun. Thank god for my 4 long runs with Tri-State Running- 2 being 13.1's - One being a "virtual half" since Hyannis marathon weekend got canceled.

Superbowl Sunday Long Run (12.39 miles)

The first 13.1 of February 
Twelve mile long run
Our very own "virtual Hyannis" 13.1 

No comments:

Post a Comment