Tuesday, April 8, 2014

13 days until Boston.

Here we are , 13 days from the start line. In the past I have always been doubtful before a marathon. I have run 7, none (well maybe 1) were very glamorous. The only one that was not a complete nightmare was Disney Marathon in 2010. It was 28 degrees and I think that went to my benefit since I could not feel a single part of my body.
I typically don't eat a big breakfast if any at all, and I never eat on the course. I know this combined with my "wing it" approach to training has probably been the issue with falling apart about mile 20-21.
This year I changed a few things. For starters I trained. I was fortunate enough to join the Tri State runners which is a new group locally. I have never met such  great group of people I am now happy to call my friends. We have done our long runs every Saturday morning all winter long and we ran through ice, snow, rain, below zero temps, and a few nice days, too. Had it not been for these amazing people, it would have been very easy to just stay in bed.
We gradually increased the mileage and I got in 3 20 mile runs which is more than I can say for my past "training". I used to go out and do like 11-14 miles, and run it at race pace just to get it over with honestly. I am noticing a difference doing things the right way, and the time flies when you are talking the entire time !

I was going to go for the "go slow" approach with the assumption I would crap out as I usually do, but the other day I got excited thinking of the marathon, I revisited all of our training in my mind- and I decided there is no reason not to try to PR and see what training has done for this distance. I put in the work, so that seems practical otherwise it was wasted training. I know it is a mind block and I need to just remind myself I have put in several hours of hard work and have been extremely dedicated. I CAN DO THIS, and I will.


Boston Rehearsal Run, March 29. Hopkinton to Heartbreak with Central Mass Striders



Boston Tune up 15k in Upton on 4.5.14   1:15:51 / 8:08 pace
Tri State Runners


See you soon, Boston!

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you have had a stellar training cycle! There's nothing better than showing up start line ready by knowing you have done all your homework. See you in Boston! :)

    ReplyDelete